Monday, September 16, 2013

how on earth??

The study begins this week on page 97


I like this coffee image.
It's so appropriate for this week's study.
The main ingredient {scripture} is so strong you could almost stand your spoon up in it.
However, with the heart-shaped, sweet encouragement {God's grace} it becomes not bitter, but flavoursome and rich.

Key Concept

How on earth can we possibly fill God's command for our life?  
It seems too big and I am too small!{When I say small, for me at least I mean, petty, selfish, easily distracted...}


This plaque sat on JFK's desk during his Presidency.  It's from a region in Brittany, France and it's called the  Breton Fisherman's prayer and was subsequently presented to all new commanders of US submarines.   It's succinct, yet powerful isn't it?

I think I originally picked it up from my Dad who was a yachtie and it's always stuck with me.
It paints a great visual.
The image that comes to mind is of me in a tiny boat on a vast sea......Hey - where'd everyone go??

You know what?  That boat looked felt sturdy and comfortable when it was moored in the calm waters of the inland sea and my biggest dilemma was whether to have a flat white or a latte when the coffee boat did its rounds.  I felt competent and masterful and in charge.
{I'm picturing lazy weekends on Pittwater with my Dad as I type!}



At some point in our Christian journey, however, we are going to leave the safe harbour whether it be voluntarily or not and we'd better remember what we're here for and how we are to stay on course.  Through our own strength and knowledge?   Or perhaps there's a GPS that we've always had available to us and it's about time we learned how to use it.

Key Scriptures

Ezekiel 36:25-27


25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Philippians 2:13


13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Philippians 1:6


being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.


There is so much wonderful content {again!}.  I'd particularly encourage you to spend time on page 101 on the reflections put forward. Including this clanger:

Do you trust that God will transform you? Why or why not? 

Have fun!

Meredy xo

1 comment:

  1. thanks Meredy enjoying your devotional input a time of refreshing for me, thank you for doing this.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat...